Sunday, May 8, 2011

Apartment Garden!

I love fresh ingredients! We usually go to the Farmer's Market, but this year I wanted to attempt to grow my own! I went to Home Depot and bought all of the things I needed to do so! Including items to build a shelving unit to hold them! I had no idea what I was doing, but when I got there the employees were so helpful! I told them the basic idea I had for the shelf and they helped me design it. We gathered all of the appropriate materials including wood, a drill, screws and planting items and headed home!




This is the shelf on the porch. It has been very rainy these past few weeks, so I didn't want my plants to drown! They still received plenty of sun, so they were okay!

On the bottom, I have patio tomatoes. They are small tomatoes, meant to be grown in a smaller area. (duh!) They are starting to get very tall, so a lattice will be be put up behind it to allow it to grow straight up without toppling over.

The middle shelf is housing a few things. Once they grow a little larger, they will have individual pots. These are starter boxes, so they are okay for now. Starting from the left I have cucumbers, squash, snap peas and green beans. Like the tomatoes, they will need a lattice behind them to help them grow.

The top shelf houses my salsa garden. Starting from the left I have nacho peppers, jalapeno peppers, small onions, parsley and cilantro. The nacho peppers are growing very fast! Everything else is just starting to come through. More lattice will need to go on this one.

View from the backdoor while it was still housed on the porch.

Now that it is sunny and rain isn't in the forecast everyday... it is on the side of the porch soaking up tons of sun and looking awesome. :)

<3
J

No comments:

Post a Comment