Friday, May 7, 2010

Pesto Quiche

This recipe was taken out of the Gilroy Garlic Festival: Garlic Lovers' Greatest Hits book. This particular recipe was from the 1981 festival. It was very easy to make and took about an hour of time. :)  I made this recipe for the girls in my office. It was a huge success! 

Ingredients!
 ****Before starting this recipe, be sure to have your pie crust ready! I used a store dough because I felt too lazy to make my own at this time. It took a quick 11 minutes in the oven. Let it cool off to the side while you prepare the filling.

<br>
<br>
Ingreienst!iEnter away ingredients 
Put the fresh basil, pine nuts, garlic cloves, salt and pepper into the blender. We used the magic bullet....it's the perfect size! Alternately blend in the olive oil and Parmesan cheese.

It will look like this!

 
Melt the butter (No picture, sorry!) and mix into the pesto. Set aside!

 
Peel the garlic and onion. Use your karate skills and chop them up.

 
Saute the onions in the butter. The smell was sooooo yummy.

 
Add the garlic to the sauteed onions! The garlic comes after because they can burn easily.

Lightly beat the eggs together.

 
Add the milk and ricotta to the eggs.

 
Add the sauteed onions and garlic along with the pesto to the bowl. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup of prepared pesto. We had a little over, but it still worked out perfectly.

 
After all the ingredients are mixed together!

 
Pour the mixture into the pie crust.

 
It filled it right up! The recipe says to put more of the Parmesan on top. I did not do this step because I ran out! (Yes, the pie crust is a little weird! I really didn't pay attention when I was placing it in the dish... next time I'll make my own and do it correctly!) Bake the quiche at 350 for 45 minutes!

 
Final product! The quiche should be puffed and lightly browned. :)


Thoughts on this recipe:
*The final product was a little wet. The girls in my office used the microwave to heat their piece up which helped take care of that problem. If you want to serve this straight from the oven, I would suggest draining the onions and garlic after they are done sauteing.  
*I am not used to putting ricotta cheese in my quiches but it added a nice flavor and texture to the final product.


Grab your grocery list... here comes the ingredients!

Pesto:
4 cloves fresh garlic
1 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 teaspoon salt (I used kosher)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (I gave the mill about 4 twists)
2 tablespoon pine nuts
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons (melted) butter

Quiche Filling:
1 9-inch pie shell (I used a store bought dough I cooked in the oven)
4 cloves of garlic
1 large onion
3 tablespoon butter
3 large eggs
1 cup milk (I use 1%)
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup prepared pesto (I used all of the pesto I made. It came out to a little over 1/4 cup)
1.5 cups Parmesan cheese (This is for the top of the quiche which I did not do)

No comments:

Post a Comment